By 2025, 75 percent of the workforce will be Millennials, born in the 1980’s or later, so employers are naturally interested in how these digital natives are changing the workplace. Unfortunately, research shows that Millennials don’t always get the working conditions they want. Consequently, they are the generation that is currently least engaged with their employment: nearly three-quarters (71 percent) are either not engaged, or actively disengaged at work.
So, what is the best way for employees to attract, engage and motivate a Millennial workforce? Much of what appeals to these young tech-savvy workers can be provided by embracing Unified Communications.
- More than three-quarters of Millennials say they are strongly influenced by thoughts of how innovative an organization is when deciding if they want to work for it
- They want a culture that values a culture of plain speaking and clear communications, and they want constant feedback on their performance; 68 percent of Millennials would get rid of the structured performance review process, replacing it with feedback ‘in the moment’
- They want an employment structure that combines the flexibility of freelance working with the stability of employment; they want to be free to flex the times that they work and the locations they work from: 77 percent of Millennials say flexible working times would make them more productive and 89 percent regularly check work email after hours
Unified communications tools can make businesses more collaborative and flexible:
- Using instant messaging instead of email enables fluid, informal ‘in the moment’ communications and feels more personal: more than half of Millennials prefer to talk to colleagues in person vs. only 19% who prefer email
- Presence information shows whether colleagues are available to chat, reducing delay and creating a more collaborative environment
- Using video-conferencing instead of audio brings people together and makes communications clearer: according to a recent survey, 87 percent of Millennials would prefer working with a video-enabled organization than a traditional office setup
- Unified communications makes it easier to work whilst out of the office, by providing a secure platform for communications, and a consistent experience regardless of what device is used
Steve Harris, EVP unified communications, Nuvias and managing director SIPHON, says:
“Even the oldest workers are now familiar with instant messaging and see the value it can add to their communications experience and how they interact and collaborate. Overall though they are less demanding than their millennial counterparts who now demand to have the same quality of communications tools at their disposal in the workplace as they do in the personal lives”
For more information about how Unified Communications help businesses create the best working environment for employees now and into the future. Contact us today on 01635 552000